Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Another moment to make ya say "OHH Mija"


When we picked Abby up from Guatemala in Nov 2006 i kept calling her Mija (pronounced MEE Ha in Spanish...Feminine noun)to get her to stop crying while i rocked her...Meaning-Love or dear....


When my cousins and I were kids my Mexican Granny called us Mija....

I don't say it much to Abby now BUT TODAY she said to her Father "oh dad come on meja" ....I wanted to cry!!!


Its a beautiful thing to know even alittle bit of Spanish ( I will one day learn much more)..My Mother is 100% Mexican it was spoken around us until i was 10 years old AND WE were never taught!!! I owe my Daughter to learn that beautiful language!


To my Sweet Mija i love you...

16 words from my friends!:

Rhonda said...

ahhhh, that is so wonderful. She is sooooo adorable.

Rachel said...

What a sweet thing to say to her daddy - man I love your family, I wish we lived closer in real life!

Suzanne said...

What a sweet little girl you've got! Those kind are good at melting their mommy.

Suzanne said...

What a sweet little girl you've got! Those kind are good at melting their mommy.

Steph said...

Oh wow! This was clearly etched on her soul! So special.

Hannah said...

SO sweet!!

All these B's and Me! said...

Awwww, look at that little face!

Valerie said...

Aww, how sweet! I've been trying to teach the kids a new Spanish phrase every other week. It's hard, but we are all learning.

aamayna said...

So cute!! I like that expression. I met a Guatemalan woman living here in Cleveland yesterday. I asked her what they call little girls in GT for a term of endearment. She said she likes to call little girls "mamita" , or
"little mother". Mayna's name is so short so I don't normally use nicknames or terms of endearment but might start using that one! I need to learn more spanish!!!

Bobbi said...

What a sweet story. Some day I hope to learn more Spanish as well.

HOw sad that it wasn't taught to you and your family

Lilysmom said...

My friends mom called me mijah. It always made me feel really special. I thought I would call lily that but she is bee bop. Or beetle bop. I don't know why?

La Familia Garcia said...

Awesome to bring in that special heritage! She's beautiful!

Carrie said...

What a sweet story. Very endearing. I want to learn more Spanish too and for Savannah to speak in the future. She counts in Spanish and says some words. Iti is adorable.

Love that baby face.

Pineapple Princess said...

Such a touching post- just the sweetest thing!

Our Complete Family said...

Oh she is such a sweet heart with a huge heart!
xo Les

Cindy said...

Awwww, SO precious!